from the chaos journals

words scratched from my forehead like athena but i am no zeus, just one lost photograph looking for time

20060212

Miles and miles and... (part two)

(Curious? Part One is Here)

"I won't let you keep hurting me," she says, not a child's voice any more. "I won't. And you can't control me anymore."

Sylvia hears. Sylvia smiles. Sylvia makes the girl (not a child any more) scream again.

The scream jolts me, but not enough. I lapse...

Somehow, the girl breaks free - again? as always? Her footsteps echo, moving quickly down hallways, stairs. Quick little steps - lots of echoes.

Sylvia laughs. Her footsteps do not echo.

The echoes pause, start, stop, but not for long. She's not lost, never lost - can't be lost - but the place is unfamiliar and she makes a wrong turn.

Sylvia smiles and the girl screams again.

The scream jolts me and this time I become aware of a point of view. I feel the smile but in the darkness, I cannot see - not the girl, not Sylvia, not the hallways. It is all darkness - my eyes will not open, but I feel her smile.

The girl screams again, a long scream, gaining in intensity and tone until there is no sound, until the scream itself is silence.

I lapse in that scream - losing my point of view, like opening eyes in total darkness.

The scream ends - no trailing off, no whimpering, nothing - just true silence, which floods my attention with such force that I am pushed back. Sylvia smiles again and again and again - all at me now. All at me. I don't like her smile. I know her smile. I know and suddenly I know that I am more than a point of view, that I know her smile like I know my face, like I know my own cruelty - but to Sylvia's growing dismay, I am not scared. She frowns, a painful expression somehow worse than the smile.

As if in desperation, Sylvia makes the girl (not a child any more) scream. A short scream that quickly degrades into whimpering and crying. The girl whispers something I cannot hear - she is so far away now.

I open my eyes and, for lack of a better word, come awake. The couch under me is familiar, but I'm not immediately sure why.

"Oh good dear, you're awake. We were so worried." I turn toward the voice and look into the eyes of Sylvia. Her eyes but the face is older: a wasteland of cracks and crevices. I grin at her, feeling her smile crease my own cheeks. Then I remember Raylyn and look to see the bastard still sitting at the cute little table with a lace napkin stuffed in his collar.

"Hey fucker," I call to him, grasping Sylvia's shoulder to leverage myself into a vertical position; my legs throb only slightly. Out of the corner of my eye, I can see her fighting a frown and I stifle a laugh - I don't want to show all my cards. Not yet.

I smile toothily at Raylyn, who stiffens and tries not to look at me. "I would just adore a cup of tea - be a dear wouldya? And I could just murder one of those tasty little cakes."

6 Comments:

Blogger mysfit whispered...

FM - i only wish that they were my cards or at least that i could see the cards - unfortunately, my characters rarely tell me anything ahead of time - ensnared, huh? i'm glad you like it - i am vaguely disatisfied with my descriptions as the scenes in my head are complicated on this one(probably why it took me so long)

jenn see - :P

17.2.06  
Anonymous Anonymous whispered...

Very avante garde to me. A disjointed nightmare. And like a nightmare, I can't look away. I'm mesmerized even if I don't understand.

You have a fascinating perspective.

17.2.06  
Blogger Nessa whispered...

:O

I definitely want you to keep writing more on this! (mainly 'coz I'm confused)

17.2.06  
Blogger Tom Meade whispered...

So is this still on?

21.3.06  
Blogger mysfit whispered...

yes sry - my muse got mad at me and decided it needed a vacation...

21.3.06  
Blogger mysfit whispered...

darling - at least one of muses resides on the east coast, always - damn you... wait you just wiat, i will get my revenge!

27.3.06  

Post a Comment

<< Home