from the chaos journals

words scratched from my forehead like athena but i am no zeus, just one lost photograph looking for time

20051224

things

"Who were you talking to?"
"No one."
"Liar - I heard voices."
"What did you call me?"
"I said Liar. I know there was some one in here with y-"
"Never call me that. Never ever or you will be so sorry. Look around Ethel. There's no one here. The voices were from the TV."
"The TV's not on."
"I just turned it off."
"It's not warm."
"It was only on for a minute - I said, look around Ethel, there's nowhere to hide anyone."
"What about the couch?"
"Look under it."
"I mean in the couch - between the-"
"That's ridiculous, no one could actually hide in-"
"Then what's that hand sticking out?"
"Uhhh, what hand?"
"This one. Come on out you go - ooo Henry, I am going to rip you such a new one, that-"
"Good evening, ma'am."
"What the-"
"Good evening again, sir."
"Please forgive our intrusion into your lives and your husband's obvious fibbing but as we are-"
"T!!"
"F!!"
"B!!"
"C!!"
"C!!"
"-it was quite necessary that you find us in our element just as the gentleman did-"
"-just as-"
"-everyone does eventually"
"What exactly are you and what exactly do you think you're doing in my couch?"
"Please take a seat my dear lady and-"
"-all will be explained-"
"-in time."

13 Comments:

Blogger monkey 0 whispered...

reminds me of murakami's t.v. people story.

everyone eventually finds the tfbcc, do they? if they sit very very still, an d you drink enough wild turkey?

25.12.05  
Blogger JP whispered...

Couches are evidently strange portals in the mysfitverse. Who are these courteous interlopers???

26.12.05  
Blogger mysfit whispered...

jp - i know about as much as you about the TFBCC at this point. as for couches, they are indeed portals had you never sat on a couch and stood up in a different room thant you begin in?

monkey - do you have a link to that story? because in my head it looked a lot more like a monty python sketch

oh and did the dialogue work ok by itself? did you get lost? one more question - what color was the couch?

27.12.05  
Blogger Andam whispered...

The couch is green (naturally) and the dialogue worked beautifully by itself - though I did have to read it twice to fully understand it. Which is OK by me, if that means anything.

I have a complaint though. I spent most of last night jumping on my couch, pushing it, pulling it, even cleaning it. What popped out? No TFBCC, nothing, nada, zip. All I got was 28 cents, a chapstick, and a butterscotch candy. Severely disappointed, let me tell you.

28.12.05  
Blogger monkey 0 whispered...

couches are, apparently, definitely portals, although I didn't know it before everyone started writing about them.

I don't have a link to the story, sadly... it's in The Elephant Vanishes.

as for the dialogue, I had to read it twice like az., but what the hell, this is the internet... sure, it makes it a little confusing, especially with more than two speakers, but it keeps things quick, which is definitely a good.

28.12.05  
Blogger Chemical Billy whispered...

What everyone said. Except: the couch is more of a turquoise than a true green.

Monkey - yeah, the Elephant Vanishes - do you have that book? I haven't read it in a while, but it made quite the impression...

29.12.05  
Blogger DeeM whispered...

this has such an awesome twilight zone'ish feel to me!

29.12.05  
Blogger mysfit whispered...

azure - do you feel you need the T!F!B!C!C! right now? apparently it is not just a matter of where (green or otherwise, but i agree, that too would be my choice) but also of when...

only twice, huh? that's not bad...

29.12.05  
Blogger Andam whispered...

Well, it would certianly liven up my life if something would pop out of my couch. Unless they mean me harm... Wait, they're not like body snatchers, are they?

Although, even that could be amusing for a while.

4.1.06  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson whispered...

Reminds me of a snippet of G.K.Chesterton...and the Matrix.

16.1.06  
Blogger mysfit whispered...

azure, i suppose i could have commented sooner, but i think it would be even more lively if they mean you harm - though these are loveable dr. suess characters in my head (not that that should be reassuing or anything)

carl - I LOVE G.K. CHESTERTON!! (but you knew that, right?)

16.1.06  
Blogger Carl V. Anderson whispered...

I couldn't remember if you or Jenn See were the Chesterton fan, but something about this reminded me of The Man Who Was Thursday.

16.1.06  
Blogger mysfit whispered...

i think we both are, but only because i introduced her to him, and thank you carl, that is a wonderful compliment in my book - do you have any idea what reminded you of the wonderous writings of that esteemed gentleman?

20.1.06  

Post a Comment

<< Home